Resistance against metallic mining in El Salvador commemorates International Day Against Open Pit Mining
- Published on Tuesday, 05 August 2014 09:07
by Gloria Orellana
"We are here on this date to join millions of voices around the world in protest the mega mining projects" stated Vidalina Morales commemorating the international fight against transnational mining which causes misery and environmental pollution.
The theme of year's International Day was "Against Mega Mining and in Defence of Life and Water", a day that commemorated around the world to advocate for a world free of toxic chemicals causing the destruction of ecosystems, biological corridors and forests.
- Published on Thursday, 29 May 2014 15:55
Statement signals the posibility of achieving a mining prohibition during the tenure of incoming president Salvador Sanchez Ceren
by P. Cabezas
Incoming minister of the environment and natural resources Lina Pohl, announced at an international forum at the Central American University that her ministry will continue to support the mining moratorium that has taken place in El Salvador since 2008. The announcement was made at a regional gathering of anti-mining activists in San Salvador organized by the Research Center on Investment and Commerce, a member organization of the National Roundtable against Metallic Mining, La Mesa.
During her speech Pohl acknowledged concerns often raised to oppose metal mining in El Salvador (population density, size of the territory and the precarious ecological balance of the country) to publicly state that she would honor a campaign promise made by president elect Salvador Sanchez Ceren to "maintain the current mining moratorium and to seek solutions to the environmental threats posed by over 48 mining projects located in the border with Honduras and Guatemala” during her term.
- Ángel Ibarra: “We will promote environmental sustainability in the country”
- La Mesa: Our life will be at risk if metal mining projects are allowed
- FMLN candidate Sanchez Ceren commits to not exploit metal mining
- Anti-mining leaders asks presidential candidates to make explicit their position on mining
- Letter to the Legislative Assembly of El Salvador
- Presentation: We Demand a Law that Bans Metallic Mining in El Salvador
- El Salvador Mulls Total Ban on Mining
- The Salvadoran Government Proposes Suspending Mining in El Salvador
- Mining Ambition Impedes Environmental Justice
- Mesa Reveals SEA